Cell wall in Bacteria Function
In Simple words, it can be described as it is “wall” it gives Protection, Support to the inner Cellular parts or Organelles of a bacteria, also it gives a defined shape to it.
A Image of Bacterial cell (Image Courtesy:Google)
In Technical terms, there are some points that can be added to it, they are
- Cell wall of a Bacteria provides a defined Shape to it
- It protects from the internal pressure that causes a higher concentration by protein & other molecules comparing the external environment.
- The Cell wall of a Bacteria differs by its type, It can be two types
- i)If it is a Gram ‘+’ve bacteria, it has a Thick Peptido Glycan layer gives more Protection than the other one, (this is responsible for the transport of food or water from outside a cell to its inner organs).
- ii)The second one is Gram ‘-’ve bacteria, which has Thin Peptido Glycan Layer, which gives less protection.
A Image of Gram ‘+’ve & ‘-’ve bacterial cell walls (Image Courtesy:Google)
- The Difference between a Gram ‘+’ & a Gram ‘-’ bacteria can be experimented by the process called “Gram Staining”.